Educational Diversity SEND Information Report

Type of school - Pupil Referral Unit

Educational Diversity is a multi-site pupil referral unit providing for pupils who are unable to attend mainstream school due to their social, emotional, behavioural or medical difficulties.  Many of the pupils are amongst the most vulnerable young people in Blackpool and those without an Education, Health and Care Plan are at the SEN Support stage of the SEN Code of Practice (2014).  Our highly motivated staff look to prepare our pupils for the demands and opportunities of the 21st century by offering an individual, personalised curriculum and lifelong set of values.  A pupil’s placement with the service is as a result of a permanent exclusion, an agreed managed move or through a dual register arrangement. We work with our pupils to assist their return to mainstream education.  Educational Diversity also has an Outreach Service who support pupils in school. We are passionate about ensuring pupils’ primary Special Educational Needs are identified.

Educational Diversity is one service operating out of five centres across Blackpool. These are:

KS2 provision: The Pegasus Centre

KS3 provision: The Pegasus Centre

KS4 provision: The Oracle, St Anne’s Road

Home and Hospital provision: The Athena Centre, Whitegate Drive (also incorporating our home tuition register)

Specialist Tuition and Vocational provision Centre: The Mountford Centre, Low Moor Road


School Based Information

Who are the best people to talk to in Educational Diversity about my child’s difficulties with learning/ Special Educational Needs (SEN)?


Summary of Responsibilities


Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs (SEN) and developing the school’s SEN Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.

• Ensuring that you are:

◦ involved in supporting your child’s learning

◦ kept informed about the support your child is getting

◦ involved in reviewing how they are doing

◦ part of planning ahead for them.

• Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology , Behaviour Advisory Teacher

• Provide specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help your child (and other pupils with SEN in the school) achieve the best possible progress in school.

• Writing provision maps for individual children based on their needs and strategies necessary to help them progress.

Lead Teachers, Teachers, Behaviour Managers

Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and letting the SENCO know as necessary.

• Ensuring that all staff working with your child in school are supported to deliver the plan from the provision map for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources.

Head Teacher

Ensuring that quality first teaching is present in all classrooms at all times.

SEN Management Committee Representative

The day to day management of all aspects of the school; this includes the support for children with SEN and the management of all staff who contribute to children’s learning.

• They will give responsibility to the SENCO and class/subject teachers but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.

• They must make sure that the Management Committee is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEN.


• Making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEN.


Children in school will get support that is specific to their individual needs. Whilst we acknowledge that all of our children face challenges in attending mainstream provisions, we actively investigate the possibility of underlying difficulties. Educational Diversity operates around a high staff:pupil ratio, and all children have access to a key worker/project worker. Support may be all provided by the class teacher and their keyworker/project worker or may involve:

  • Other staff in the school

  • Staff who will visit the school from the Local Authority Advisory services such as the Cognition, Learning and Autism Service, the Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need), or the Advisory Teacher for Physical Difficulties

  • Staff who visit from outside agencies such as The Speech Bubble (Speech and Language Therapy Service)

  • There is also close liaison between the vast number of family support services in Blackpool, the Youth Offending Team who may provide support when necessary and Health Services.

Types of support provided also showing the stage of the Code of Practice (the document that schools use to plan their SEN input) children will be at when receiving this input.     

What would this mean for your child?      

Who can get this kind of support?

What are the different types of support available for children with SEN in this Educational Diversity?     

Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching also known as Quality First Teaching.

•          Ensuring that the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.

•          Ensuring that all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand, using the accelerated learning phases.

•          Putting in place different ways of teaching so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more kinaesthetic learning and personalised teaching and learning approaches.

•          Putting in place specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCO or outside staff) to support your child to learn. All children in school should be getting this as a part of outstanding classroom practice when needed.

Specific group work with targeted group of childrens. This group may be;

•          Run in the classroom or outside.

•          Run by a teacher who has had training to run these groups.

•          Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress. If there are concerns, the SENCO will be notified.

•          A Specialist Support Assistant/teacher or outside professional (like a Speech and Language Therapist) may run small group sessions either in a small group or within the classroom setting.

Any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning.

Children will be at the stage of the SEN Code of Practice called SEN Support, which means they have been identified by the class teacher as needing some extra support in school.

Individual support

•          Your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENCO (or you will have raised your worries) as needing more specialist input instead of or in addition to outstanding classroom teaching and intervention groups.

•          You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.

•          You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help Educational Diversity and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school.

•          The specialist professional will work with your  child, yourself and the teacher to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:

           Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better

           Support to set better targets which will include their specific expertise for teachers to implement

           A group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g a social skills group

           A group or individual work with outside professionals.

•          Educational Diversity may suggest that your child needs some agreed individual support in school. They will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place. The SENCO will apply for this funding through the Specialist Admissions and Resource Panel (SARP) which allocates funding to high-needs pupils. Children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups. Specified Individual support documented through an Education, Health and Care Plan.

•          Educational Diversity (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process and you can find more detail about this in the Blackpool Local Offer.

•          After the school have sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the support at the SEN Support stage.

•          After the reports have all been sent in the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong and that they need a significant amount of support in school to make good progress. If this is the case they will write an Educational Health Plan. If this is not the case, they will ask Educational Diversity to continue with the support at the SEN Support stage and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.

•          If appropriate, the Educational Health Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used.   It will also identify additional strategies needed. It will also have long and short term goals for your child.

•          Additional adults may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

 Children whose learning needs are:

•          Severe, complex and lifelong

•          Need a significant amount of intensive support in order for them to progress.

•          May need an alternative placement in a Special School.

How can I let Educational Diversity know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?      

•          If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s Teacher, Lead Teacher in the centre or Behaviour Manager in the centre.

•          The concerns may need referring to the SENCO if your child is still not making progress.

•          If you continue to feel that your child is still not making progress you should speak to the Head Teacher, Wendy Casson, in line with the complaints procedure

How will Educational Diversity keep me informed of my child’s progress, along with any concerns

•          Educational Diversity holds regular, multi-agency reviews where your child’s progress will be reviewed and any concerns discussed. Parent Consultation Days are held each term.

•          Regular liaison between us and yourselves is maintained through telephone calls, letters and home-school diaries, interim and annual reports.

•          When a teacher or a parent has raised concerns about your child’s progress, and targeted teaching has not met the child’s needs, the teacher must raise this with the SENCO.

•          If your child is then identified as not making progress we will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail.

How is extra support allocated to children?         

•          The school budget, received from Blackpool LA, includes money for supporting children with SEN.

•          The Head Teacher decides on the budget for Special Educational Needs in consultation with the Management Committee, on the basis of needs in the school.

•          The Head Teacher and the SENCO discuss all the information they have about SEN in the school, including

          the  children getting extra support already

          the children needing extra support

          the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected.

•          All resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as needed.


Who are the other people providing services to children with an SEN in Educational Diversity?

School support assistants

Life skills/Emotional Well-being Coach

Sports Coach

Educational Psychology Service

Sensory Service for children with  visual or hearing needs

Speech and Language Therapy

School Nurse

Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services

Occupational Therapy

Outside Counselling Service

Post-16 Careers Adviser

SEN Officers (if a child has an EHC Plan)


How are the teachers in school supported to work with children with an SEN and what training do they have?

The SENCO’s job is to support the teachers in planning for children with SEN.

The school has Communication Friendly Status

Educational Diversity holds regular training for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEN. This includes whole school information & training on SEN issues such as ASD, dyslexia etc.

Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class e.g from the Speech and Language Therapy Service.


How will we measure the progress of your child?

Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his teachers and our Leadership Team.

Each child completes induction assessments which provide a valuable baseline of their abilities.

For each Consultation Day, parents are given a written report which includes grades for effort and attainment.

The progress of children with a statement of SEN/ EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education.

The SENCO will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.


What support do we have for you as a parent of child with an SEN?

We would like you to talk to your child’s teachers, key workers and other relevant staff regularly so we know what they are doing at home and we can tell you about what we are doing in school.  We hope this will make sure that we are doing similar things to support your child both at home and school and can share what is working in both places. The SENCO is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.

All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report. The SENCO will also arrange to meet with you to discuss any new assessments and ideas suggested by outside agencies for your child. Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs.


How have we made Educational Diversity accessible to children with SEN?

We ensure that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.

Key words and literacy resources are used across the school to support learning, in-line with our ‘Communication Friendly’ status.

How will we support your child when they are leaving this school in Year 11, OR making a transition back into mainstream?

We recognise that ‘moving on’ can be difficult for a child with SEN and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible. 

If your child is moving to another school:

We will contact the school SENCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child. Your child’s provision map will be shared at this time.

We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.

When moving years in school:

Information about your child will be shared with their new teachers

If your child would be helped by a personalised plan for moving to another year, we will put this in place.

In Year 11

All children will meet with our Careers Adviser who will liaise with Post-16 providers to ensure strategies and key knowledge about individual children is shared.

If your child has an EHC Plan, their transition will also be supported by Blackpool’s Central SEN Team.

The SENCO and Careers Adviser will support your child in finding a college or work placement.

If necessary, the SENCO will arrange visits to new schools/colleges for your child.

Wednesday, July 18, 2018
First Magazine

First Magazine

Christmas Magazine | Issue No. 2

Christmas Magazine | Issue No. 2

Summer Magazine 2016 | Issue No. 3

Summer Magazine 2016 | Issue No. 3

Christmas Magazine | Issue No. 4

Christmas Magazine | Issue No. 4

Summer Magazine 2017 | Issue No. 5

Summer Magazine 2017 | Issue No. 5

  • 1
Educational Diversity Magazine - Issue 6
Educational Diversity Magazine - Issue 6 Out Now

Contact Us

01253 476660
Bathurst Avenue, Blackpool, FY3 7RJ

Photo Gallery

View some of the Educational Diversity activities
Barbecue for Brian House
Documentary Photography Project
Ed Diversity's Got Talent
Sports Day
NASUWT Competition
Street Life
Young Carers
Waterpark Trip
Paul Maynard MP